After your resume is completed, you should immediately begin work on your cover letter. If you want any sort of success in your search for jobs in Johnson City, you need to have a quality cover letter. Avoiding mistakes and following the right steps will help your letter stand out from the rest in the eyes of potential employers. Here are some solid cover letter tips, courtesy of Seth Porges of Forbes:
1. Dont regurgitate your resume: resumes already recap your education and prior experience, so there is no need to dump all that into your letter for the sake of filler. Remember that your resume is about your experience; your cover letter is about you and what you will bring to the company.
2. Keep it short: cover letters should never exceed a page. In fact, the average cover letter can be written in just three paragraphs and still contain all of the relevant information. If you are having trouble keeping your letter short, following step one will probably help.
3. Address no one: often times applicants will not be aware of whom to address in their letter. If you are ignorant as to whom exactly will be reading it, dont bother addressing anyone at all; jumping right into the body of the letter is acceptable.
4. Dont ever: use the phrase My name is ______, and I am applying for the position of _____. This is redundant.
5. Give it a strong closer: end your letter with two to three sentences explaining how your experience can help your job performance. Once that is written, nothing else should come after it.
By Kyle Wise
Click here to find Johnson City Jobs
Back to About